Preliminary Breath Test (PBT)
As an employer, creating an alcohol-free workplace is vital when it comes to safety and accountability. Alcohol abuse can take a heavy toll on your business. Consider these stats as provided by the U.S. Dept. of Labor:
- The U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services found that over 14% of Americans employed report heavy drinking, which is defined as five or more drinks on five or more days in the past 30 days.1
- The occupational categories with above-average rates of heavy alcohol use, in addition to construction, were handlers, helpers, and laborers with a rate over 15%, over 13% of machine operators, inspectors, transportation and material movers, precision production and repair workers rates. Employees in food preparation, including wait staff and bartenders have a rate slightly above 12%.2
- Alcoholism causes 500 million lost workdays each year.2
If an employee is suspected of drinking on the job, both PBT and EtG screening can be preformed to provide vital information. Depending on the specifications of the referring party, results will be withheld or given to the employee. The cost of a PBT test is $5.00. If you suspect that one of your employees is drinking on the job, please download and fill out the Employer Services Referral Form and return it to us through one of our contact methods.
“EtG is a direct metabolite of alcohol (ethanol). Its presence in urine may be used to detect recent ethanol ingestion, even after ethanol is no longer measurable. The presence of EtG in urine is an indicator that ethanol was ingested and can be detected in urine for up to 80 hours after ingestion. EtG is only evident when ethanol is ingested and is not produced as a result of fermentation.
In addition to EtG, recent scientific studies have identified ethyl sulfate (EtS) as a second specific metabolite or biomarker of ethanol. For this reason, RTL tests and reports EtS, in conjunction with EtG, to confirm recent ethanol ingestion or exposure. The detection of EtG and EtS offers greater sensitivity and accuracy for determination of recent ethanol ingestion, than by detection of either biomarker alone.”3
EtG testing is available as a preliminary screen for alcohol usage. All EtG testing is a direct observation process unless otherwise specified by the referring party. A urine sample is provided by the employee and sent to the lab for testing. If the results are returned positive, EtS testing will be needed to confirm.
The cost for EtG screening is $15.00. If required, EtS conformation is available for any EtG test that returns positive. The cost for EtS conformation is an additional $40.00. Average turn-around times for lab confirmation is 7-14 days. If you suspect that one of your employees have been drinking on the job, please download and fill out the Employer Services Referral Form and return it to us through one of our contact methods.
Employers design drug-free workplaces to protect their companies from the hazards and devastating effects of drug abuse. Pre-employment drug testing helps to prevent hiring those who abuse drugs and are most often performed as part of the application process. Because every business is unique and not all employers have the same needs, every employer should carefully layout the drug testing program elements that are most beneficial to their company and work environment.
Substance abuse is a very real and dangerous threat to businesses large and small. The U.S. Department of Labor estimates that drug and alcohol use in the workplace costs employers approximately $81 billion annually. Left unchecked, drug abuse can seriously damage the integrity and stability of your workplace. These statistics from the U.S. Depart. of Labor shed some light on drug use in the workplace:
- More than 70 percent of substance abusers hold some type of job according to the American Council of Drug Education. In fact, according to the U.S. Department of Labor, more than 60 percent of adults know someone who has come to work under the influence of alcohol or other drugs.
- Over 15% of Construction workers, 11% of sales personnel, food preparation, wait staff, and bartenders, and over 10% of handlers, helpers, laborers, machine operators and inspectors reported the highest rates of current illicit drug use. Protective service workers reported the lowest rate of current drug use at just over 3%.1
- A NIDA-sponsored survey reveals that drug-using employees are over 2 times more likely to request early dismissal or time off. These same employees are 2.5 times more likely to have absences of eight days or more and 3 times more likely to be late for work. The chances that theses employees will be involved in a workplace accidents increase 3.6 times while the likelihood of filing workers’ compensation claim by 5 times.
Pre-employment and random drug testing can help to improve productivity and morale while decreasing downtime, turnover, absenteeism, accidents, and theft.
The cost for 5-panel tests are $10 and 12-panel tests are $20. If required, substance confirmation is available for any drug test that returns positive. The cost for substance conformation is $50.00 for the first substance and an additional $25.00 for each additional substance confirmed. Average turn-around times for lab confirmation is 7-14 days. Depending on the specifications of the referring party, results will be withheld or given to the employee. If you suspect that one of your employees are using drugs in the workplace, please download and fill out the Employer Services Referral Form and return it to us through one of our contact methods.
Live scan fingerprinting is the process of capturing fingerprints electronically which means there is no ink or card. Your fingerprints are “rolled” across a glass plate and scanned. It is faster, cleaner, and more accurate than the old ink and roll method. Whether you are required to be fingerprinted by a state and federal agency, or for employment, in minutes, our trained Enrollment Agents will ensure that your paperwork is in order, take your fingerprints, process the request and have you on your way!
IdentoGO fingerprinting services are available on the main floor in suite 200. To make or change an appointment please go to https://mi.ibtfingerprint.com/.